South-Indian Chickpea Curry
Finding the right recipe out of thousands of Chickpea Curry Recipes is quite a challenge. But let me tell you that I found the perfect combination of chickpea flavors. I was one of those people who never liked chickpea curries and usually avoided eating any kind of lentils or chickpeas. Thankfully I discovered the South-Indian cuisine and got this recipe from my in laws. You don´t have to like the entire cuisine of each region to make one recipe out of it, but this one I really recommend to you. I personally am a fan of `Punjabi´ cuisine when it comes to South-Asian cuisine (North-Indian or Pakistani) but this flavor combination really won my heart. I pledge you, don´t skip the coconut as that is the main ingredients which changes the entire flavor. The coconut turns the curry into a creamy tasty dish. So give this delicious curry a try and let me know how it turned out.
- 1 cup White Chickpeas (overnight soaked)
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 dry Red Chili
- 7-8 Curry leaves
- 2-3 Garlic cloves
- 3-4 Shallots (small onions)
- 1/2 cup Grated Coconut
- 1 tbsp Whole coriander seeds
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for Tarka (finishing of curry):
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 4-5 Shallots (small onions) chopped
- 1-2 Green chillis
- 1 Dry red Chilli
- 1 inch Ginger chopped
- 1 big Tomato chopped
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Soak the chickpeas for at least 3 hours or overnight. Cook in a pressure cooker with double amount of water (6-7 whistles or till cooked). Keep aside!
- In a pan add coconut oil and one by one add the rest of the curry ingredients. Ones the Coconut gets light golden in color and starts smelling nicely, remove pan from the stove and keep aside to cool.
- Grind the mixture in a mixer with little water to get a smooth paste and add it to the cooked chickpeas.
- In another pan add oil and one by one the rest of the ´Tarka´ ingredients. Cook till the tomato is cooked (approx. 5-8 mins).
- At last add the ´Tarka´ to the chickpea mixture and cook it for another 5 mins till all ingredients are nicely assembled.
- Serve hot with Indian bread or boiled rice!