Firni - Milk Pudding
Firni is a very popular Indo/Pak dessert made of thickened milk, ricotta cheese and ground rice. It is very simple to make and still tastes like you put in a lot of effort. This dessert is very much like a custard but personally I think this milky sweet tastes much better. Adding up some nuts and extra flavor turns this sweet into a luxurious dessert. If you know how to make rice pudding, you will definitely find it easy to make this `Firni´ as well. The amazing milky combination with ricotta cheese is just incredible and will give you a veritable explosion of taste. Try out this recipe and impress your family and friends with some new sweet desserts.
Here is the recipe:
- 1 liter Milk
- 3/4 cup Rice (soaked for 1 hour)
- 1/2 cup Ricotta Cheese (Khoya)
- 1/2 cup Condensed Milk
- 3-4 Cardamoms
- Pinch saffron (optional)
- Pistachios for garnishing
- In a mixer grind the soaked rice with little water to a paste.
- In a pot heat up the milk with a pinch of saffron and cardamom.
- Ones milk comes to a boil add the rice paste and cook 15-20 mins while constantly stirring till thick. (Keep an eye as milky products tend to burn easily!)
- Add ricotta cheese with little water and condensed milk. Cook another 10 minutes till nicely combined.
- Adjust the sugar and garnish with pistachios.
- Ones cooled down refrigerate and serve chilled.