Delicious Oat's Porridge [Ramadan Sahur Idea]
Healthy & Delicious Oats
Let's go healthy this Ramadan
Let's be honest, the blessed month of Ramadan* very often ends up eating lots of unhealthy and oily food. We might not be eating so much in normal days but while fasting we actually start eating more (unhealthy) food thinking we will starve all day. Although the most important fact while fasting is just to stay hydrated and keep healthy. I am not saying to stop eating all that fried yummy delicious food items which are being usually served for Iftar* but at least balance your diet so you have enough energy throughout the day. It's said that breakfast is the most important meal for the day and so is Sahur*. Neither skipping this meal nor overeating this time is a good idea. Finding the balanced food for Sahur which will keep you energized and filled for long is the key of fasting. So here is my delicious Sahur meal idea for you:
Oats are not just filling but also have plenty of other benefits. Here are some of them:
- They are the best source of healthy carbs and fiber
- It makes you feel full for a long period of time
- It lowers blood sugar and high cholesterol
- Oats also help you to reduce constipation (which often occurs while fasting)
- It can be prepared very fast
So how can you prepare a delicious and healthy oats meal?
Make your healthy oats at home. Do avoid buying the prepared flavored instant oats. They often contain lots of sugar and are not healthy at all. Instead buy a whole grain oats packet and make your own flavored porridge. You can cook them in low fat milk although they taste best if made with regular milk. It's not necessary to add sugar as they naturally have a mild sweet taste.
So here is the very simple recipe for an Oats Porridge :
1. Heat a cup of milk in a pot .
2. Add 4 tbsp of Oats .
3. Cook in medium heat while stirring till they become thick and creamy.
- Every oat's brand is different. Some take 3 minutes to cook and others take 10 minutes. So always keep an eye while cooking to avoid getting it burned.
- You may add more or less oats to the milk, depending on how thick or liquid you want your porridge.
- Serve with your favorite fruits. All kind of Berries go great with Oats.
- You can drizzle your favorite honey on top as well
Hope you will try this extremely easy and healthy recipe and create your very own version of 'Healthy Oats'.
*Ramadan: Islamic month when Muslims fast
*Sahur (Sehri): Morning meal (before Sunrise)
*Iftar: Evening Meal (after Sunset)