Lahori Chicken & Chickpeas Curry
Punjabi Style of Chicken Chickpeas
Who's in mood of a delicious and easy to make curry? This combination of chicken and chickpeas is a very old traditional way of making Chana Chicken Curry. Most of the Punjabi curries often use tomatoes to make the saucy part of the curry but this curry originally doesn't have tomatoes inside. However I like my Chicken Chickpea Curry more with some freshly grounded tomatoes. To make this curry even faster, you may also use canned chickpeas which are already pre-cooked. (Just wash them throughout before adding them into the curry). This curry is definitely one of my favorite and I enjoy them either with some traditional Punjabi paratha or some plane boiled Basmati rice.
So here is the easy to make recipe:
- 1 kg Chicken
- 200g Chickpeas
- 100 g Split Red Lentils
- Crushed Red Chili
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Crushed Black Peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp Ginger/Garlic Paste
- Salt to taste
- Soak the chickpeas and lentils overnight and boil them next day in 2 separate pots.
- In a pot heat some oil and add ginger/garlic paste. Cook till golden in color.
- Then add the chicken pieces and cook till the color changes.
- Add the cooked lentils and chickpeas and cook further.
- To the pot add in red chilies, garam masala, coriander, black pepper and salt. (you may add 1/2 glas of water to avoid burning the masala.)
- Now let the curry cook for another 15minutes with closed lid on medium-low flame till all ingredients are nicely incorporated.
- Serve hot with some freshly cut coriander leaves on top. (You can sprinkle some extra garam masala for extra flavor.)
For some extra taste, I like my curry with a little bit of more gravy. So i take approx. 2 medium tomatoes and grind them in a mixer to a paste and add it to the curry before i add my chickpeas and lentils. (You can also add some canned tomato puree instead).